- Participant must be an individual amateur baker (age 8 through and including 18 years old) who is a Pennsylvania resident. One entry per person.
- Entrants may not have won 1st place in the PA Preferred™ Junior Baking Contest at any other fair in 2017.
- Entry must be a plate of six (6) individual sized portions of the baked entry item.
- Entries must be made from scratch. Pre-made mixes are not acceptable ingredients.
- PA Preferred™ ingredients must be used in the recipe. A comprehensive list of acceptable products will be available on the PA Preferred™ website. Recipes are to include three (3) out of the five (5) items listed here:
– Grains such as flour or oats
– Fruit such as peaches, apples or berries
– Vegetable such as zucchini or carrots
– Dairy such as milk, cream or butter
- Entry must be submitted for judging on a food safe disposable setting. (All pans, plates and dishes are considered to be disposable and will not be returned.)
- Recipe(s) must be submitted with the entry, printed on one side of 8-1/2” x 11” paper. Recipe must list all ingredients, quantities, and the preparation instructions. PA PreferredTM ingredients are to be identified in writing as “PA Preferred” along with the brand name in the recipe (ex: PA Preferred Eggs – Weis brand; PA Preferred Milk – Galliker’s brand; PA Preferred Berries – Strite’s Orchards). Entrant’s name, age, address and phone number must be printed on the back side of all the pages. PA PreferredTM product labels should be attached to the recipe. (All recipes and cookies-brownies-bars will become the property of the Fair or PA Farm Show and will not be returned.)
- Refrigeration is not available at the fair or PA Farm Show. Entries that require refrigeration after baking must indicate so in the recipe. Those entries will not be sold, auctioned or otherwise distributed for consumption after judging for food safety reasons.
- Judging will be based on the following criteria:
Judging Criteria Points Flavor (aroma, taste, good balance of flavorings) 30 Texture (appropriate for the type of cookie-brownie-bar) 25 Inside Characteristics (even grain, evenly baked; free from air pockets) 20 Outside Characteristics (uniform size, shape, appearance; overall appeal) 15 Creativity 10 TOTAL POINTS 100
|11||15||32||PA Preferred™ Junior Baking Contest: Cookies, Brownies and Bars||$20, $15, $10|
First Place Winner is eligible for the 2018 PA Farm Show competition.
At the PA FARM SHOW level, this contest is sponsored by:
PA Dept. of Agriculture’s PA Preferred™ program – www.papreferred.com.
PA Farm Show Competition Prizes:
1st – $500.00, 2nd – $250.00, 3rd – $100.00, 4th and 5th – Rosette Ribbon